Do you have an idea that can improve the lives of Detroiters? Is it worth $12,000?
Are you looking to make a difference in your community? Is there a problem or hurdle faced by fellow Detroiters that you would like to solve? If you have a desire to understand the root causes of a social problem, leverage the expertise of your Warrior community, and create a sustainable solution, then the STEAM Challenge is for you!
The Wayne State University School of Social Work and Mike Ilitch School of Business are proud to host the third annual STEAM Challenge, which brings interdisciplinary student teams together to address a social problem in our city. There are four priority areas under this year's theme of Innovating Change and Developing Solutions Towards a Just Society:
- Promoting youth development and educational opportunities
- Creating employment opportunities and developing workforce solutions for individuals and groups who face barriers to finding and maintaining employment
- Enhancing financial literacy, capabilities and inclusion for low-to-moderate income individuals and households
- Advancing and monitoring environmental justice initiatives (i.e. clean water/air) in under-resourced communities
The competition will include a comprehensive business development services, coaching, and mentoring support that leverages the time and talents of individuals and organizations that make up Detroit's growing social entrepreneurship ecosystem.
This competition is open to WSU students from any discipline with $25,000 in cash prizes split among the top 3 teams. Students will be guided through the competition by STEAM Challenge Champions and taught how to utilize business and entrepreneurship principles to solve pressing social challenges facing area Detroiters. The idea can be a product, service, technology component, an app, or other venture that will help empower social change in Detroit.
- Final six STEAM Challenge teams selected to compete in Pitch Competition for $25,000 in prizes
- Four Detroit entrepreneurship thought leaders to judge WSU STEAM Challenge preliminary pitch
- WSU students invited to participate in annual STEAM Challenge
- 2017 STEAM Challenge Video Pitch - EMS Drone